Wednesday, August 19, 2020

The Sealey Challenge, Day Ninteen: Turning

Tony Kendrew was briefly part of a poetry critique group I'm in, and I'm so glad I was able to meet him and spend some time with him and his work. (I also hope he returns some day, schedule permitting.)

Today I read his new book, Turning, via Amazon's online kindle reader. The collection is a thoughtful exploration in which Kendrew connects with, and reimagines, his Welsh ancestry. The great Menna Elfyn praised it, and rightly so. 

Tony generously gave me a CD that contained him reading many of these poems. He's a fantastic reader (with a beautiful accent), and I could hear his voice as I read the book. 

I especially appreciate his expression of hiraeth, a Welsh word that is difficult to translate, but suggests a sweet heart-sick, homesick longing for a place. Ah, hiraeth! I know it well. 

No comments: