Saturday, April 3, 2021

1210 and Counting

1210 is the current number of poets listed in the tracking spreadsheet that I created a few years ago to offset feelings that I was poorly-read.

These are poets I've "read," meaning that at the very least, I've perused a couple of poems and their brief bio, and have performed an image search (and sometimes a video search) to see and/or hear them. In some cases, I've read a collection or more by a poet. In other cases, there aren't more than two or three poems to be found, at least online. I include birth years and death years (when applicable), and sometimes will indicate whether I was especially impressed by someone with the keenly descriptive note "good." 

I still can't say that I'm well-read, but this spreadsheet helps me remember that it's a process. And because I know this is only a sliver of the number of poets I could have on the list, it keeps me excited to think who I have missed or haven't yet met. Plus, every once in a while, I'll realize I've forgotten to add someone important. Perhaps I'll mention the list again once I hit 1500...

No comments: