Sunday, August 15, 2021

The Sealey Challenge, Day Fifteen: I am Not Trying to Hide My Hungers from the World by Kendra DeColo

 


This book was a perfectly-timed gift from my new supervisor to myself and my daughter (who had just had a baby). I have enjoyed it very much, especially DeColo's exciting passionate irreverence. And her titles! "I Pump Milk like a Boss," "Self-Portrait as Getting Drun-Dialed by God," "Poem that Gives no Fucks," "Isn't 'Food Court' a Lovely Term." 

From "I Was in Love with a City":
the seagull's labor
of pulling one thing apart from itself

leaving the beach a bruised mosaic
in love with residues of elegance

godly remnants of glass
an urchin's bloomed configuration

its tongue a bell
its tongue a dictionary

where every word is more
valve and soot

No comments: