Saturday, August 29, 2020

The Sealey Challenge, Day Twenty-Nine: A Field Guid to the Heavens

 

Frank Gaspar was on the faculty at Pacific University while I got my MFA, and while I never took a workshop from him, I attended a couple of his craft talks, and regularly saw him at the local grocery store at the beginning of residencies, when we were both stocking up on food for the week. Having heard him read excerpts of his work, I knew he was brilliant and unique. This book confirms his genius and his capacity to think, and feel, deeply. I admire his work and wish now that I'd spent more time trying to speak with him about something other than what was on the menu for breakfast. (I seem to remember him saying something about the recipe calling for whiskey and eggs that he'd be sharing with Ellen Bass.)

No comments: