Sunday, August 22, 2021

The Sealey Challenge, Day Twenty-two: Disinheritance by John Sibley Williams

Last year, I read John Sibley Williams' book As One Fire Consumes Another for the Sealey Challenge, and my admiration for his poetry has not waned. Also, I continue to be encouraged by the fact that he and I have been published in at least two issues of journals together. Yes, he is very prolific (I see his work in so many places!), but I can't help but think I'm doing something right if an editor choses both his poems and mine. (Shout out to The Midwest Quarterly and The Shore most recently).


Disinheritance is heartbreaking, dealing with the death of both the old and the very young, even unborn. But Williams (or should I say "Sibley Williams"? I don't know which is correct.) is elegant and eloquent. He comes at the matter either slant, or through metaphor, or from a distance that encompasses a much larger picture. His philosophy is of the heart more than the mind, considering our place in nature and nature's place in our lives.  



 

No comments: