Monday, August 23, 2021

The Sealey Challenge, Day Twenty-three: Build Yourself a Boat by Camonghne Felix

 


This collection includes pieces of Felix's story, and pieces of the story of the US in the fraught time in which it was written. (Will the time never be fraught, though?) She has poems about cutting and about the testimony of George Zimmerman. The pieces are lyrical and sometimes playful, but cut through with plain, bold language, including slang. So it's profanity and profanity combined: f-bombs and gorgeous imagery and sound. Google search terms are made into poetry with amazing effect. And there's my favorite poem, "On Entropy," which had me holding my breath, and ends:

I want to step out of my language
and light up, but the body is a container
the body is a mold; I fit snugly; I can barely
breathe in here. Leave me. I've got to count
the dead in here. I'm an atom, and I'm new
to the water. I got born by expanding. I get
born every day: my flesh is so dam raw with
all this entering. 

No comments: