Wednesday, August 2, 2023

The Sealey Challenge, Day 2: Your Emergency Contact has Experienced an Emergency by Chen Chen

I was very taken by this collection of poems. Chen Chen does something with repetition of words, phrases, images - weaving them in from start to finish. More than a braid. A chain, maybe? At any rate, each poem stands on its own, but they also seem to speak to one another and are very much a part of a whole because of it. I'm also impressed by the humor in the book, and the heart. Compassion and insight. I wish I knew Chinese to better understand those poems that have Chinese characters - but it was also an interesting mental exercise to try to guess, from context, possible translations. 

However, this makes me realize that much of poetry is translating what a poet is saying into our own private individual language anyway. 




No comments: