Tuesday, August 22, 2023

The Sealey Challenge, Day 22: My Feelings by Nick Flynn

Years ago, Nick Flynn's Blind Huber was one of the books I read for the MFA program at Pacific University. Of course, I was taken by it because at the time, I was on the cusp of being a beekeeper - or perhaps I'd already caught my first swarm. Regardless of the subject matter, his skill impressed me then. I understand that reading Flynn and thereby supporting him in any way might be considered controversial (at the least) by some;. I do not mean to cause harm. I have not met the poet. I am, like Flynn, the child of a parent who committed suicide; the poems in this book which touch on that experience, and which show the complexity of a relationship with a difficult, often absent, father, speak to me, and I continue to admire his talent and craft. 



No comments: