Saturday, April 9, 2022

No, no, Nonet

I believe I have written a nonet before, as an exercise. And today's napowrimo prompt to write a nonet, led me to write another one. As an exercise. There was nothing much to either doing it, or to the result. 

I think it would be better if I took a longer poem, or a more complex idea, and condensed it into something that fit the nonet form, rather than expanding a sentence or thought into just a syllabic count. Or maybe today I was simply, especially, not inspired. 

I do like challenges, and I like counting feet and syllables. I've long been interested in syllabic verse. Marianne Moore was famous for them, of course - and here's an interesting piece that discusses that subject. But meter is so much more than syllables, perhaps a better challenge would be that of writing a poem with a particular pattern of feet. As though I need more challenges in my life!

No comments: