Saturday, August 3, 2024

The Sealey Challenge, Day 3: Where Hope Comes From by Nikita Gill

 This book was written during the early days of the pandemic, and notes in the introduction, "We may not know each other. We may never meet. But if you chance upon this book, I want you to know that no matter what you are going through, no matter how big and deep and painful those feelings are, you are not alone." I imagine it might have been helpful for many people, in 2020 and 2021 especially, to read those words. And this book has a kind of determined hopefulness-while-addressing-depression (or even despair) quality that could be a balm for someone going through a tough time. Apparently, when the book came out, Gill was an "Instagram superstar." This might explain why I wasn't familiar with her - being a late adopter of that particular platform. But I found the book more verse than poetry, more journal entry and prose-with-line-breaks than the kind of craft I have become (spoiled!) more used to.  It was a good read to recognize how it differs from the work of other poets I've been enjoying of late. 



No comments: